The summer has come and gone, but for those of us who love to be tanned all year long there is a way to keep that look without the harmful effects.
Fake tanning can actually stain your nails, so if you want to avoid this, there is a way.
The nails have to be clean and free from any product. You can do this by using a nail brush and some warm water to scrub the nails.
They should not be too clean though, as you do not want to remove fake tan on your skin.
How to Remove a Self Tanner from Your Nails
Even if you use a glove or a mitt when tanning, you will still end up having your nails stained with orange.
With that, you would not want your nails to have that color because it will really look bad. It can even cause cracks on your nails too.
So to get rid of it, you can do the following…
Use Lemon Juice
Lemon juice and salt can help remove the stain away. Just mix some lemon juice with a tablespoon of salt, then soak your nails in it for 15 minutes.
After that, rinse off using cold water and dry them out thoroughly.
Another option with lemon is with baking soda instead of salt. To do that, you mix two tablespoons of baking soda and one tablespoon of lemon juice.
Put this paste on your nails and let it sit for a few minutes before scrubbing gently using a nail brush. Rinse off with cold water too and dry them out well.
Use White Vinegar
White vinegar is also another option. All you have to do is soak your nails in white vinegar for 15 minutes and then rinse off using cold water again.
Use Nail Polish Remover
Just like the other two, nail polish removers can help remove fake tan from nails as well.
But you have to make sure that it does not have acetone. Just soak your nails in the remover for 15 minutes, then rinse off using cold water and dry them thoroughly again.
Toothpaste can also help remove fake tan from nails.
All you have to do is apply some toothpaste on the stained areas and rub it in gently, then rinse off with cold water and dry them out again.
Bath with Some Oil Essentials
Another option is to take a bath using some oil essentials like olive oil, coconut oil or almond oil. You can do this for about 15 minutes and then rinse off with cold water again.
So if you want to get rid of the fake tan from your nails, just follow the steps mentioned above.
Soaking – Another Method to Remove Fake Tan from Your Nails
If you have some time, it will just actually take around 20 minutes do to the following steps:
1. Get a basin filled with water and soak your nails with mild soap. The water should be warm. Do this for only 10 minutes.
2. Get your cuticle trimmer to clear up the dead stained nail base.
3. Empty your basin, refill with new warm water with a drop of tea tree oil, then soak your hands again or feet for a few minutes.
4. Get an old toothbrush that you’re not going to use in brushing your teeth anymore. Scrub the stained parts of your nails.
5. Get a cotton pad and soak it in lemon juice. Then gently rub on each of your nails.
6. Wash your hands now with warm water and wipe dry.
7. Add moisturizer so that your nails won’t dry out.
How to Avoid Stains on Your Nails When Fake Tanning
There are some points you can keep in mind so that your nails will not be stained.
- Use a glove or mitt when tanning to avoid staining your nails.
- If the color of the gloves is different from your legs, then switch them during tanning.
- Also, use oil-free lotions on legs and feet before tanning to avoid stains.
- Before tanning, you should scrub your nails using a nail brush and some warm water so that it will not be stained during the fake tanning process.
- Again, do not make them too clean as well because this could also cause cracks on the nails too.
- After removing dead skin cells from around your cuticles, use oil-free lotion to avoid stains.
- Do not use fake tanning products that are for your face or sensitive parts of the body.
- This could also cause staining on your nails too because it is formulated differently than other fake tanners in the market today.
- The same goes with sprays, make sure you do a patch test first before using it.
- Keep your nails in a neutral color or just go bare to avoid stains when fake tanning is being done on the legs and feet.
- This will also help you easily spot any staining that might occur during the process.
- If there are no stains in sight, then it means there won’t be any dye transfer from your hands onto them.
- Avoid using your nails when faking tanning is done.
- This could also cause staining on them because the dye might transfer from hands to nails and vice versa.
- If you want to touch something, use a glove or mitt instead of bare fingers during the fake tanning process.
Although it can be time-consuming and exhaustive, removing fake tan from nails is not impossible.
Just follow the steps mentioned above, and you are set to go!
Why are Tanning Gloves or Mitts Essential?
Tanning gloves or mitts are necessary especially for those who want to achieve the glowy and golden look on their legs.
These items help protect hands from getting stained while tanning which is very helpful if you don’t like the idea of having stains around your nails after applying fake tan on them.
Without tanning mitts, there is a tendency for the dye to get transferred from hands onto legs and vice versa.
This could also lead you to having stained nails after applying fake tan on them because of continuous contact with the color.
For those who don’t like wearing gloves when faking tan, then there are other options that can be used such as rubber fingers or plastic gloves.
But tanning mitts are definitely the best choice because it has a special material that helps in protecting hands from getting stained during the fake tanning process.
What to Look for When Buying Tanning Mitt?
When buying your own tanning mitt, there are some considerations you have to think of first before making any purchase.
There is a wide array of tanning mitts available in the market today, so it can be confusing especially for beginners.
Thus, knowing what to look for when buying them will help you choose the best one suited specifically on your preference and needs.
Here are some factors that you have to take into consideration:
- The material used for tanning mitts should be durable and long-lasting.
- Look for a material that is machine washable because you might use it often during the fake tan application process on your legs or body.
- Also, make sure the colors do not easily fade away when washed with other clothes in the laundry hamper with detergents or soap products.
- Choose a tanning mitt that comes with elastic wristbands to prevent the product from slipping out of your hands while using it.
- You can also use them when you are applying fake tan on other parts of the body like back, chest, arms and face.
- Tanning gloves or mitts should be easy to wash after every single use.
- This will ensure that the product would remain hygienic and clean for your next fake tanning session.
- Tanning mitts should also be made with materials that are safe to use even on sensitive skin types.
- It is best if you check first before buying them whether there are users who have experienced rashes or irritations after using the product.
- If you are allergic to certain substances, then it is best that you do not use them because they might cause negative reactions on your skin.
So now that you know what tanning mitts should be like, make sure to check all these things before buying one for yourself.
It’s better if this will also help you to compare different products available in the market because there are a lot of them out there.
Some Products that Protect Your Nail from Fake Tan Stain
Tan Primers – This product is formulated with ingredients that help improve the quality of fake tanning application.
It also helps boost skin moisture and smoothen out any dry patches on your skin as well as lessen darkening or patchiness.
Nail Varnish – This product also comes in handy to protect your nails from fake tan stains.
It is a type of nail polish that provides an extra layer for protection and color on the surface of the nails which helps prevent staining while applying fake tan all over your skin.
So now that you know what products are available to use, make sure only choose those who are safe to use and not harmful for your nails.
It’s best to protect your nails from the fake tan stains than to have to spend time removing it.
However, you already have read above about the steps in removing fake tan stains from your nails. So make sure to keep those in mind if ever the need arises.