The skin is one of the most important organs in the human body. It not only houses all the other major organs, but it is also our means of communication with the outside world. Skin tone denotes healthiness and attractiveness, so self-tanners are an excellent way to achieve either or both goals at once.
When shopping for a self-tanning product, there are a few factors that need to be considered. For starters, since men generally have thicker skin than women and can endure stronger products, it is important for them to find a self-tanner that maintains the best balance between tan look and dryness.
The process of using a self-tanning lotion will reveal several factors like application, drying time and how long before you can shower. That is why it is essential to pay attention to these factors while shopping for the best self tanners for men’s legs.
Top 5 Best Self-Tanners for Men’s Legs
There are many factors that can go into choosing the best self-tanners for men. One of the most important ones is who will be using the product. For example, if you have sensitive skin, there are specific products designed to soothe and moisturize your skin, leaving it soft afterwards.
However, if you have a lot of tough, rough skin that is hard to shave off, you may want to choose an exfoliating product. Exfoliation not only helps to remove dead skin cells but it also opens up pores so that the self-tanner can spread evenly onto your legs. Below are some great self tanners for men that will help you achieve a healthy, natural looking tan in no time.
1. Best for Oily Skin: SunLabs Overnight Self-Tanning Lotion
This self tanner is great for men who are always on the go because the product only takes one hour to develop, so you can apply it before bedtime and sleep with it on. The mixture is completely plant-based, so it won’t irritate sensitive skin or clog pores. It will produce a healthy bronze color that will gradually develop over the next 24 hours.
2. Best for Normal Skin: St. Tropez Self-Tan Express Advanced Bronzing Mousse
This quick drying formula is loaded with vitamins and minerals to keep your skin healthy. It also dries in an instant so you can jump out of bed and get on with your day. The color doesn’t come off onto sheets or clothes, but it does fade somewhat over time.
3. Best for Sensitive Skin: The Fox Tan Self-Tanning Lotion
This is a great product for those with very sensitive skin as it contains the bare minimum of chemicals and additives. It dries quickly, giving you ample time to get dressed before it sets in. However, the color only lasts around three days so you will have to repeat the process periodically to maintain the color.
4. Best for Dry Skin: Supre Smoke Bronzer
This self-tanner is great for men with dry skin because it contains all the essential oils needed to keep your skin moisturized and conditioned. It will also leave you smelling like a fresh bouquet of roses due to its lovely mix of flowers combined with dark vanilla notes. It can be purchased at a large variety of retailers.
With this great variety of self-tanners , you are sure to find the perfect one for your skin type. Just remember that it is important to be patient, since all skin types are different and take time to adapt to new products. It will also help if you exfoliate before using any self-tanning product, so that the color is even and natural looking.
5. Devoted Creations H.I.M.Titanium bronzer
This amazing bronzer is perfect for creating a warm, healthy glow on your face. It contains organic ingredients like cocoa-butter to keep your skin firm and well nourished. The titanium dioxide will even out the color of your face, while the green tea extract will soothe any irritation that may otherwise occur. Lastly, it won’t break you out or irritate sensitive skin, since it is free from harsh chemicals and toxins. It is fairly cheap for a bronzer of this quality!
How Long Should I Wait Before Showering?
It takes between two to three hours for a self-tanner to completely dry. However, the skin continues to absorb it for up to 24 hours after application. Exposure to water within those first 24 hours can strip or dilute tanner and wash away some of the color. This is why it is recommended that you wait between two and three hours before showering .
Will I Turn Orange?
Self-tanners are formulated with dye molecules called dihydroxyacetone or DHA. The main purpose of these is to temporarily stain away dead skin cells on top of your skin so that they can blend more easily with the color beneath them. This allows for a natural looking tan instead of an artificial one.
It is true that most self-tanners do contain some orange dye, but this is necessary for the color to adhere properly to the skin. While you cannot entirely prevent this process, there are several factors that you can control in order to achieve a more natural looking tan.
Steps in Applying Self-Tanning Lotion on Men’s Legs
- By Choosing your product – While there are many different types of self-tanners, not all of them are appropriate for men. It is best to go with a dark lotion that will give you a longer lasting, natural color. Make sure it isn’t too dark or it could look very unnatural.
- By Shaving – Some brands recommend that you shave prior to applying their product. This will help your skin absorb the dye more easily and give you a smoother finish.
- By Exfoliating – Any dead or dry skin cells will be removed during exfoliation, leaving a smooth canvas for the self-tanner to adhere to. However, you need not do this step if you are using an exfoliating scrub.
- By Putting Moisturizer – After shaving and exfoliating, you need to moisturize your skin in order to keep it healthy while the self-tanner settles into the top layer of cells. Use a scentless lotion or coconut oil since they will not affect the color of the tanner.
- Application – Some men choose to apply their self-tanner with a mitt, but if you don’t have one this is not necessary. Just use a cotton ball or clean towel instead and rub it on your skin in circular motions. Remember that the color will appear more intense as you first start spreading the lotion, but will then begin to appear lighter as it dries. The key is not to overdo it because this may cause streaking and uneven tanning.
- Do Not Overdo It – If you apply too much self-tanner it will take a longer time for the color to develop and can also result in splotchy patches.
- Maintenance – It takes around 20 minutes for the skin to absorb the dye completely, but you can repeat this process every other day in order to maintain your glow all year long. Unlike tanning beds which damage the skin, self-tanners actually nourish and moisturize it while giving it color!
Tips on how to keep your skin from drying out or getting irritated after application of a tanner
- Don’t shower or use soap or body wash for at least 6 hours after tanning.
- Don’t exfoliate your legs in the days leading up to tanning, but you can exfoliate right before tanning if needed.
- Moisturize your skin with lotion or body butter right after bathing and just before bed.
- Use petroleum jelly (like Vaseline) on your feet, ankles, knees and elbows for more hydrated skin.
- Before tanning, shave your legs with an electric razor because it doesn’t leave the telltale rash like a blade can.
- After you get out of bed, stand up slowly to help evenly distribute the color across your body.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing or sitting in a hot tub, sauna, steam room or bath right after tanning.
- Apply moisturizer to your knees and elbows if needed just before bed.
Things to remember when tanning
- Don’t shave your legs the day before you tan. If you do, your hairs will be looking sharp and sticking out everywhere. It’s best to wait a couple days for this reason.
- If you have any cuts or scrapes on your leg, avoid them for at least 24 hours before applying self-tanner. Cuts and scrapes will allow the tanner to penetrate deep into your skin, which can result in severe ‘orangey’-ness.
- Stay out of direct sunlight for 24 hours after applying self-tanner. The sun will wash out all that hard work you just did! You don’t have to stay completely inside but try not to do anything too strenuous.
- Whenever possible, apply your self-tanner at night. If you do this, you can sleep in the tanning oils instead of having to reapply throughout the day. It’s much easier to put on another coat before bed than it is during the middle of work!
- If you are applying self-tanner that claims to be water-proof, avoid any direct contact with water for at least 6 – 12 hours. This stuff requires time to bond with your skin! Avoiding water will ensure that most of the tanning oils remain with your skin, instead of washing down the drain.
- Use petroleum jelly around your ankles and elbows to prevent them from turning ‘orangey’. This is especially important if you are applying self-tanner all over! The most common way people make a mistake is by forgetting these two areas. Consciously putting on petroleum jelly will prevent any embarrassing mishaps after your tan sets in.
- Wash your hands with soap and water immediately after applying self-tanner. When you go to wash the oil off later, you want to make sure that there is no trace of it on your hands. This will help prevent any orange palms!
- Use a loofah when washing off self-tanner. This is an easy way to ensure that all the tanning oils are washed off. A loofah will also allow you to get into all the nooks and crannies of your leg, which can be really hard to reach with just your hands.
- Remember to moisturize regularly when you are using self-tanner. A good time to do this is right after the shower, while your skin is still damp. Moisturizing at this time will help lock in the moisture, which is really important because self-tanner can make your legs very dry.
- Don’t forget to wear sunscreen when you are outdoors! The sun’s UV rays are at their strongest between 10 AM and 2 PM, so try not to go outside during these hours if possible. Wearing SPF 30 or higher sunscreen will help protect your skin from the harmful rays.
Now that you know how to apply self-tanner to your legs, just remember the importance of timing and moisturizing. If you follow these steps carefully then you will achieve a natural looking tan that lasts for around seven days.